Water Trail Site Stewards
THANK YOU to the 25 volunteers who helped us steward 25 White River Water Trail sites in 2021! Volunteers helped remove 10,500 pounds of trash from the river, improving water quality and safe, recreational access.
The 2022 White River Water Trail Stewardship season will begin on Green Up Day: Saturday, May 7. The WRP is seeking interested volunteers to help us provide safe recreational access to the White River next summer. Follow this link to see the White River Water Trail sites across the White River watershed that require a site steward!
Site Steward responsibilities
The WRP is working with partners to sustain a White River Water Trail Stewardship Network. Our long-term goal is to provide safe recreational access to the White River by recruiting and supporting a stewardship volunteer at each White River Water Trail site.
Volunteer stewardship responsibilities include:
- Removing trash at your site on Green Up Day in May (optional);
- Monitoring a specific White River Water Trail (WRWT) site once a month from May through September;
- Gathering data on trash, hazards, and site improvement needs;
- Collecting trash in the trash bags provided (optional);
- Reporting data via an electronic SurveyMonkey form; and
- Participating in the WRP Source to Sea Cleanup in September (optional).
Follow this link to see the WRWT sites across the White River watershed that require a site steward!
- Data sheet with instructions
- Follow this link to share data
- If you find a dead animal, please contact the VT Rabies Hotline at 800-472-2437.
- If you find a dead bird, please contact the VT Agency of Agriculture at 802-828-2421.
- If you find a container leaking propane or other hazardous liquid, please contact the VT Department of Environmental Conservation HAZMAT Hotline at 800-641-5005.
- If you find a hypodermic needle, please contact your local constable or police department or follow the disposal method shown at this link.
If you are interested in becoming a site steward, please contact WRP Program Coordinator Christian Pelletier at christian[at]whiteriverpartnership.org